Saturday, July 25, 2009

Flashback

I will begin by inviting my family (especially Daddy and Anita) to correct and/or fill in any details of this story.

So, we were in the truck, getting ready to leave the house today when Michael remembered that he needed something from inside. He jumped out of the driver's seat, closed the door and as he was running up the front steps, I realized that the truck was moving forward! - toward the garage!

I flash back to a time from my childhood when Anita and I had gone somewhere with Daddy. It was some store on some highway that had a sloped driveway. He left the truck on so we wouldn't get hot and he was close enough that we could seen him talking to a man from where we sat. As a children, I as a scaredy-cat and Anita was a dare-devil. So she leans over me in the middle and bumps the truck into reverse and we start rolling backwards toward the traffic. We are all hysterical and sobbing and don't know that you have to pull the gear shift toward you just a little to make it work. We push and push up and up. I mostly remember thinking that she shouldn't touch it, then being afraid, then I have a picture of her red, crying face when we couldn't fix it. I don't remember how Daddy saved us, but he did.

Thankfully, I know a little more about vehicles now than I did then. I jammed the truck into park about the time Michael made it back to the driver's side door. Whew!

Here's to childhood memories.
(I wonder if I will become disillusioned when people start to correct my memory of this story.)

No comments: